The Austrian military cemetery was founded by the Russian Sanitary Corps for captives of the Austrian Army who died in Lviv hospitals in 1914 -1915.
After the Austrians returned to Lviv, this cemetery was intended for the fallen of the Austrian and confederate armies - German and Turkish. In the cemetery there were the burials of soldiers of different nationalities - Austrians, Ukrainians, Germans, Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Slovenes, Croats, Serbs, Hungarians, Turks, Bosnians. Also burials of the Sich Riflemen - participants of the November Uprising (Lystopadovyi Chyn), 1918 were held there.
In 1941, Ukrainians who died in Lviv NKVD prisons were buried in the fields of theLychakiv Cemetery adjacent to the Austrian military cemetery.
The main entrance to the military cemetery was from the current Cheremshyna Street where a brick gate is preserved until today.
In 1946-1947, the Austrian military cemetery was destroyed by the Soviet authorities, and civilian and military graves were located in its place.
At present, it is the territory of the modern Lychakiv cemetery on the northern side (modern fields №82,84,85 and Lychakiv military cemetery).
In 1989, in the upper part of the Lychakiv Military Cemetery, the Lviv branch of the Ukrainian Society “Memorial” mounted a high birch cross, which was later replaced by a metal one in the memory of the Sich Riflemen, officers (starshynas), and participants in the November Uprising (Lystopadovyi Chyn), 1918.
In 1996, a monument to the victims of the mass shooting of Ukrainian citizens by the Bolshevik NKVD on June 26, 1941 in Lontsky Prison was mounted on Field № 85.
At the initiative of the Austrian Black Cross, a monument to the fallen soldiers of the former Austro-Hungarian monarchy was mounted on the same field in 2010, and in 2018 two monuments in the memory of the Croatian and Slovenes soldiers who died in 1914-1918, were mounted by the Government of the Republic of Croatia and the Government of the Republic of Slovenia.